We Too Have a Voice

Lexi Kingston, Staff Writer

The 2017 Junior class published a book on Amazon called, We Too Have a Voice. Michael Powell, English III teacher, wanted to put his students writing abilities to the test by having them write and put together a book.

“I think that writing should be read, and not just in an academic sense, but in a broader sense,” said Powell. “I also think that when writers know that a large number of people are going to read their writing, they write better, and I wanted to see just how well the class could write. Finally, I also had a money reason, I thought it would be a good fund raiser for the junior class.”

The book is made up of essays from each of the students about their opinions on today’s issues.

“I enjoyed that Cason Daniels connected his essay to current events, the local event of clowns and the national event of the presidential election, that was really clever. I was also impressed by some of the essays standing for the right of life for the unborn, that’s a position I hold strongly and was glad that others believe that the unborn deserve the fundamental right to life,” said Powell. “I really enjoyed seeing the morality of the junior class as many of them wrote standing against evil.”

The students proved to work well together and exceed expectations.

“I thought we would sell about a 100 copies, and that it would take longer to put together, and I didn’t foresee how well everyone would work together to make it happen. I think that this project helped me get closer to the junior class,” Powell said.

This book was more than just a project, it was a chance for these teenagers to voice their opinions without being belittled for doing so.

“I think that teenagers are capable of functioning as young adults not knuckleheads. After all, in the recent past people were getting married at 15 and serving in the military or running a farm at 16 or 17,” Powell said.

This was not only a project, it was a way to bring everyone closer together.

“I think that this project helped me get closer to the junior class than I would have if we didn’t do this project because I feel closer to the junior class than the senior class and the seventh graders, but then again, I’m a morning person, so maybe it’s just because the juniors are first and second period,” said Powell

All the hard work the juniors put in had paid off when ongoing support from the community poured in and the book started selling.

“I think we sold a few copies over 100, and we finished the book about three or four days before I thought,” Powell said. “The best thing was getting to know the class, and for them to see me working along side them so they would know I care about them and want them to be successful.”