Texas Renaissance Festival 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Texas Renaissance Festival 2018

The senior English class, and the journalism staff at the Renaissance Festival.

Morgan Fondren, Staff Writer

Brave knights jousting for honor, music as uplifting and otherworldly as a unicorn are just a few things that describe the Renaissance period perfectly captured by the Texas Renaissance Festival. Walking through the entrance gates of the Texas Renaissance Festival is right next to the feeling of time travel. The welcoming sounds of music and life create an enrapturing aura, allowing your head to feel as if it’s in the clouds of past, your feet barely touching the ground.

This fall seniors from Mrs. Cranford’s senior British Lit class and journalism students from Mrs. Coligan’s class were greeted by dozens of friendly faces from a time quite different from our own. Odd sayings and exaggerated accents add a little extra realism to the experience of time travel, while also allowing quite a few laughs.

“I chose to take students to the Renaissance festival because my seniors are studying Shakespeare,” Mrs. Cranford said. “I felt that they could get a great experience of what life was like during this time period.”

A must on any trip is souvenir shop stop. Shops line the edge of the park, presenting unique options for the eye of the beholder. However there is the risk of leaving with a hole in your pocket although the more affordable option would be to make memories. Jaymee Thornton and Rylee Storm made the rounds at the shops and booths around every corner.

Rylee storm having her fortune told.

“While we were walking around we met this fortune teller,” freshmen Rylee Storm said. “The fortune he gave me was a creepy accurate reading and related to my life more than what makes me comfortable.”

Food. The single driving force of every human being, which lies deep within, a love for food. Watering taste buds signal the presence of hunger unseen. The consistent aroma drawing crowds to the  concession fills the air, reaching every nostril it is able to reach. Turkey legs are filling all by themselves, but  all the food these booths have to offer, call the revelers to continue to try the tempting treats.

Senior Zane Locke was one who enjoyed a turkey leg, “They had these huge turkey legs and I tried to eat it and wasn’t paying attention and somehow ended up with a turkey leg hitting me in the eye. It was a good turkey leg though, and I still ate it.”

“Taking students to the Renaissance Festival is always a good day,” Mrs. Coligan said. “This is the third trip I’ve taken students to the festival. The food, crafts, music, and rides give them plenty to do and see..”

The costumes were absolutely beautiful, with dozens of colors, each screaming out the culture of it’s time. Part of the entertainment is not only the actors, but also the activities provided. One popular place is the Museum of Cruelty.

“Okay so me and  my buddy Cameron we were going into the Museum of Cruelty, and we were like “whoa” this is going to be so hype,” sophomore Dylan Essery said.  “We were walking in, and I was like dude I hope they have a Judas Cradle in here. He was like, ‘What’s the Judas Cradle?’ and the legend began. We have this joke about the Judas Cradle. The reason we have an inside joke is because of the Renaissance Festival, and I think that mad the festival pretty cool.”