Fiddling Around

Gary Fall Playfest Oct. 3, 5, 6

The cast of Fiddler on the Roof Jr. during a dress rehearsal.

Ryan Ballard, Staff Writer

A fiddler on the roof, sounds crazy, no? But, in our little town of Gary, we’re all intertwined with the fine arts where while one person may not be too impressed, another sees something wonderful and magical.

Many plays are going to be performed by this year’s theatre classes. The plays are Fiddler on the Roof, Bob: A Life in Five Acts, and Measure for Measure. These shows will be performed during the Fall Playfest place on Oct. 3 and 5 at 6 p.m., and Oct. 6 at 4 p.m. on the Daniel Springs Baptist Camp stage.

“I hope to get Gary theatre to state 10 times before I retire, and I hope GHS theatre will win state a few of those times,” theatre director Mr. Powell said. “ At the moment we are ranked 8th in the state, and I hope that at the end of this year, we’ll be ranked higher than that.”

Theatre Production got seventh place at the UIL State One-Act Play competition 2018-2019. The success of the program has increased the theatre department to over 70 students. 

“I decided to do theatre because I loved performing for people during Junior High Theatre,” freshman Miller Powell said.

All the students in Mr. Powell’s theatre classes are trying their hardest to make their plays the most they can be.

“I enjoy entertaining people and putting a smile on their faces. It’s also really fun to dress up and act like a different person,” said Freshman Katie Thomas.

The theatre students can’t wait to blow away the audiences that show up to their plays this week at the Fall Playfest. Once those plays have shown all the theatre kids will get to work on the UIL One Act Play contest.

“It’s possible to get first at district, bi-district, area, and regional contest,” Mr. Powell said. “I think we are capable of placing at state in the top three. If we can do that, and we can get to state in film and theatrical design, we have a shot at being the number one ranked AA school in the state of Texas.”

Jessica Kennedy, Zach Thames, Hailey Essery, and Megan Holeman rehearsing Measure for Measure.