Historian Bill O’neal

To Attend Loblolly Publication Party 2020

Senior Loblolly Editors, Gracie Johnson and Morgan Fondren with the 2019-20 edition.

Staff Writers

After COVID delayed the production of the 2019-2020 edition of the Loblolly, the staff finally has it up and ready for purchase. The publication party will be held at Panola College from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 3rd.

“I am so impressed with the journalism students for powering through with finishing the 2019-20 Loblolly,” journalism advisor Nerissa Coligan said. “After not being able to get the magazine to the printer last year after spring break due to the pandemic, this year’s editors had to get it ready to print. Morgan Fondren, Gracie Johnson, and Rylee Storm did a great job taking up where we had left off last year.”

Since the main feature for this edition is State Historian Bill O’neal, who has been heavily involved with Panola College for many years, the Loblolly staff has made the decision to hold the event in one of the rooms of the college’s library.

“It’s very appropriate that it be held there,” O’neal said. “It’s kind of a cultural center of the entire county.”

O’neal is even planning to attend the party at the college, and everyone who has not had the chance to meet the man in the main article of the issue will get to see him then. 

“I’m looking forward to the publication party,” O’neal said. “I can’t wait to come up there and participate a little bit, and to congratulate the staff.”

Bill O’neal shows off some of his authentic Western artifacts.

The majority of the staff will also be in attendance, celebrating this issue and all the hard work that they have put in. The senior editors are especially proud of the magazine.

“This will be my first and last publication party as editor of the Loblolly and the last one I will attend as a high school student, so it will be both a celebration and a sort of send off for the seniors,” senior editor Morgan Fondren said. “I have enjoyed being a part of the Loblolly staff and will be one of the things I miss most about high school.